Margaret King, Ph.D., Principal
- Ph. D. 1998. Urban Planning Public Policy, Specializing in Community Economic Development (Entrepreneurship research University of Illinois at Chicago, IL
- M.A. 1992. Geography, specialization in Neighborhood Development, Chicago State University, Chicago, IL
- B.S. 1983. Geography & Regional Planning, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Select Professional Experience
- Economic Development – SSA-Country Club Hills; Retail analysis & business attraction-Hyde Park; Micro-Enterprise & M/W/DBE training-Memphis
- Business Development – Englewood, Chicago, Robbins, Olympia Fields, Palos Hills, Chicago Heights, Lombard, H Crest
- Community Planning – Fair Housing – CCH; Program Design-Memphis; BD plan-Elmhurst
- Capacity Building – IDOT, CTA, New Salem, Lincoln Park, CDB; Minority/Women businesses
- International Development – Chinese Delegates, Nigerian State House, NIPC, Akwa Ibom, Etinan, Uyo, etc.
Additional Experience – Teaching
- College of Adult & Professional Students, Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN
- College of Urban Planning Public Affairs, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Department of Geography & Economics, Chicago State University
- College of Business Administration, Robert Morris College, Chicago & Orland Park, IL
- South Suburban College, South Holland Illinois
- American Planning Association
- Women in Planning and Development
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning
- Great Lakes Economic Dev Assoc
- American Congress on Surveying & Mapping; Lambda Alpha International
- Small Business Development in Undervalued Markets. Entrepreneurship: Detroit, MI, 2004.
- Business Development Strategies: A Policy Approach New York, Garland Publishing, 2000.
- Urban Economic Development Policy Ann Arbor, Michigan: UMI, 1998.
- ...And many others.
Dr. Margaret King is the founding Principal of Metrocon, LLC, an international urban planning and development firm. With over 15 years experience as an academician-practitioner, she transfers her academic principles as an urban planning and community economic development professor to professional practice.
She is committed to bridging the gap between theory and practice by utilizing a practical approach to problem solving. Dr. King adopts the principles of both basic and applied research, interactive training, proven planning and development methods, as well as sound technology to tackle urban planning, community economic and business development issues with keen interest within the U.S. and international development in developing countries.
Her diverse consulting experience in development planning, continue to play a critical role in providing informed alternatives for seasoned decision-making in both public and private arenas. Her work locally and internationally in consulting and technical assistance to varying levels of government including national, state and municipal governments; community-based organizations; and businesses in the areas of research and training, job creation, business development, feasibility studies, market analysis, strategic planning, community needs assessment and organizing, program development and evaluation, proposal writing, public policy analysis and construction management, successfully forge some remarkable strides in sustainable community development, equitable growth management and profitability.
Prior to establishing her consulting firm, Dr. King taught at many universities and institutions in the Chicago area, Northwest Indiana, and internationally in Africa. Her passion in academia still resonates as a visiting professor at Indiana Wesleyan University where she teaches international planning and business courses. Dr. King sits on the advisory board of various organizations. She currently provides guided directions in planning, development and managed growth for numerous firms and organizations that depend on her expertise to make that intended mark. Dr. King is an acclaimed keynote speaker, internationally recognized with many prestigious awards. Often featured in local and international news papers, she has also been a regular T.V. guest on microenterprise development and community building; and she is widely published.
With tremendous experience in capacity building and team administration, she provides oversight for Metrocon’s overall mission and ensures that projects stay on track as they fit with clients and donor’s missions.